Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (2020, September). Fact sheet: Nursing shortage. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Factsheets/Nursing-Shortage-Factsheet.pdf
- Association of nurse engagement and nurse staffing on patient safety.Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 2019; 34 (https://doi.org/10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000334): 40-46
Buchan, J., & North, N. (2009). Evaluating the impact of a new pay agreement on New Zealand nursing. International Nursing Review, 56(2), 206-213. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00715.x
- Nurse staffing and patient mortality in intensive care units.Nursing Research. 2008; 57 (https://doi.org/10.1097/01.nnr.0000313498.17777.71): 322-330
- Registered nurses' preferences for rural and urban jobs: A discrete choice experiment.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2018; 86 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2018.05.012): 11-19
Health Resources & Services Administration. (n.d.). HPSA find. https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area/hpsa-find
Health Resources & Services Administration Health Workforce. (2021). Scoring Shortage Designations. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/workforce- shortage-areas/shortage-designation/scoring
Kane, R. L., Shamliyan, T. A., Mueller, C., Duval, S., & Wilt, T. J. (2007). The association of registered nurse staffing levels and patient outcomes. Medical Care, 45(12), 1195—1204. https://doi.org/10.1097/mlr.0b013e3181468ca3.
- Chronic nurse understaffing meets COVID-19: an observational study.BMJ Quality and Safety. 2020;
- Why newly graduated nurses in South Korea leave their first job in a short time? A survival analysis.Human Resources for Health. 2019; 17 (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-019-0397-x): 61
Missouri State Board of Nursing. (2020a). Innovative partnerships help combat the nursing shortage in Missouri. Missouri State Board of Nursing Newsletter, 22(1), 6. https://pr.mo.gov/boards/nursing/publications/newsletters/2020-02-01.pdf
Missouri State Board of Nursing. (2020b). Missouri Nursing Board approves “earn while you learn to be an RN” program in an ongoing effort to combat state nursing shortage. Missouri State Board of Nursing Newsletter, 22(1), 6. https://pr.mo.gov/boards/nursing/publications/newsletters/2020-02-01.pdf
Missouri State Board of Nursing. (2021). 2020 Missouri nursing workforce report. https://pr.mo.gov/boards/nursing/2020-workforce-report.pdf
Moloney, W., Gorman, D., Parsons, M., & Cheung, G. (2018). How to keep registered nurses working in New Zealand even as economic conditions improve. Human Resources for Health, 16, 45. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-018-0312-x.
National Council of State Boards of Nursing. (2021). NCSBN's Environmental Scan COVID-19 and Its Impact on Nursing and Regulation. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 11(4), S1-S36. https://doi..org/10.1016/s2155-8256(18)30177-7
Needleman, J., Buerhaus, P., Mattke, S., Stewart, M., & Zelevinsky, K. (2002). Nurse-staffing levels and the quality of care in hospitals. New England Journal of Medicine, 346(22), 1715—1722. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmsa012247
Needleman, J., Buerhaus, P., Pankratz, V. S., Leibson, C. L., Stevens, S. R., & Harris, M. (2011). Nurse staffing and inpatient hospital mortality. New EnglandJournal of Medicine, 364(11), 1037—1045. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmsa1001025
- Effective policies for eliminating nursing workforce shortages: A systematic review.Health Policy and Technology. 2019; 8 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlpt.2019.08.003): 296-303
Skillman, S. M., Palazzo, L., Doeschester, M. P., & Butterfield, P. (2012). Characteristics of rural RN's who live and work in different communities [Policy brief]. Rural Health Research and Policy Center. https://depts.washington.edu/uwrhrc/uploads/RHRC_FR133_Skillman_PB.pdf
Skillman, S. M., Palazzo, L., Keepnews, D., & Hart, L. G. (2005). Characteristics of registered nurses in rural versus urban areas: Implications for strategies to alleviate nursing shortages in the United States. The Journal of Rural Health, 22(2), 151-157. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-0361.2006.00024.x
Smiley, R. A., Lauer, P., Bienemy, C., Berg, J. G., Shireman, E., Reneau, K. A., & Alexander, M. (2018). The 2017 national nursing workforce survey. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 9(3), S1-S88. https://doi..org/10.1016/s2155-8256(18)30131-5
- Nurses' experiences of working in rural hospitals: An integrative review.Journal of Nursing Management. 2018; 27 (https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12716): 482-490
U.S. Census Bureau. (2020, April 1). About. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/metro-micro/about.html
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Health Workforce, National Center for Health Workforce Analysis. (2017). Supply and demand projections of the nursing workforce: 2014-2030. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bureau-health-workforce/data-research/nchwa- hrsa-nursing-report.pdf
World Health Organization. (2010). Increasing access to health workers in remote and rural areas through improved retention: Global policy recommendations. https://www.who.int/hrh/retention/guidelines/en/
World Health Organization. (2013). A universal truth: No health without a workforce. http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/knowledge/resources/hrhreport2013/en/
World Health Organization. (2015). Global strategy on human resources for health: Workforce 2030. http://www.who.int/hrh/resources/globstrathrh-2030/en/
Conflicts of Interest: None.