The 2010 U.S. Department of Education Regulation on Program Integrity has significantly impacted all nursing programs using online education to reach students outside their state by adding substantial reporting requirements. Without a national clearinghouse for state authorization information, these nursing programs had to develop their own strategies. Administrators must understand the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement and individual state requirements and expend significant resources in staff time and application fees to comply with regulatory requirements. The purpose of this article is to describe one university’s experience with the processes and challenges associated with obtaining state authorization for three online nursing programs accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nursing Regulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Grade Level: Tracking online education in the United States. 2015, February (Retrieved from)
- Jeanne Clery Act Information.(Retrieved from)www.cleryact.info/Date: 2014
- Faculty-perceived barriers of online education.MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching. 2012; 8: 1-12
- The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA): A good idea whose time has come. 2014, May/June; 46 (Retrieved from): 45-52
- Update on new state authorization facts for distance programs.Recruitment and Retention in Higher Education. 2015; 29: 3-4
- State authorization: No time to lose.Distance Education Report. 2015; 19: 3-4
- Boards and regulation. 2016 (Retrieved from)
- NC-SARA states & institutions. 2015 (Retrieved from)
- APRN compact. 2015 (Retrieved from)
- Federal Register. 2010, October 29; 75 (Retrieved from)
- Faculty resource center. 2016 (Retrieved from)
- Gen-11-05: Implementation of program integrity regulations.(Retrieved from)
- State authorization network. 2015 (Retrieved from)
© 2016 National Council of State Boards of Nursing. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.